Most Florida Discovery Point Centers participate in the Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten Program. Our VPK curriculum is developmentally appropriate, designed to provide your child with a foundation in early literacy, mathematics, and developmental skills to help him perform successfully in kindergarten, based on the statewide kindergarten screening under Florida Statutes. Our curriculum is approved by the State Board of Education as a private provider program.
- The program is designed for 4 year olds.
- Children initiate active learning experiences, in addition to activities initiated by the teacher.
- The program is designed to enhance your child’s individual developmental skill level and promote a positive learning experience.
- The curriculum takes into account the whole child and their experiences to develop a program that strengthens their skills.
- The classroom is limited to 20 children. An accredited teacher and full-time aide are required.
In the VPK Program, accredited teachers provide instruction following an approved curriculum designed to prepare your child for kindergarten. Tuition for this program is covered by state funding. Fees apply for additional care for before and after the regularly scheduled Pre-Kindergarten time frame, and there is a nominal charge for meals. Check with your local Discovery Point Center for enrollment dates and space availability.
- The program stresses more independence.
- A structured curriculum and lesson plans are required.
- Curriculum focuses on developing cognitive, social, language, early literacy and physical skills children need to succeed in school.
- In addition to a more advanced curriculum your child will continue to have access to games and educational software in the computer lab.
- Visit the official VPK Education Program for more information.